Jared Young proves he belongs in Major League Baseball

Friends and family of Prince George flock to Wrigley Stadium for an unforgettable baseball weekend

In a post-game interview Friday afternoon at Wrigley Field, while Chicago Cops first line captain Jared Young discussed his first major hit in Major League Baseball, 27-year-old Prince George was asked about the ball he hit twice in the eighth inning. The start of the Cubs’ 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rockies.

He told reporters that it was safely stored in his locker at the Cubs Club.

For Young, this ball is now one of his most cherished possessions. It is emblematic of the blood, sweat and tears he faced on the massive climb to the top of the baseball world that took more than two decades to accomplish. A priceless souvenir from his first major league game, played on one of baseball’s most iconic stadiums in front of the people he loves more than Prince George.

“I don’t know if it will sink one day but it was great, I had a really good time and it was great to spend with my friends and family in the stands, it’s something I will never forget,” Young said. , right before heading out to the field for batting practice on Tuesday in Miami.

“It couldn’t have happened in a better way, having my friends and family there at Wrigley and playing first base and getting hit on fourth, it was so special. I remember getting to second base and feeling great and excited. It was great.”

Young got word that he was called up to the Cubs from their Triple A team in Iowa as an injury substitute to join the squad in New York for a game against the Mets. As it turned out, his flight was delayed and he didn’t make it to the field until the fifth inning.

“This was probably the most rush of my life with some heavy thoughts to think about while I was going there, it was just so crazy,” Young said. “I had about an hour and 30 minutes to get my luggage, get to the airport, get on the plane, and fly to New York. I only stayed there for three hours, but it was really intense and fun.”

The First Division Cubs returned to Chicago immediately after Wednesday’s game and had a day off before their three-game series against the Rockies. The storybook epic reached its climax on Friday when Young achieved his first success in the leaguepegging on a fastball at 95 mph, Justin Lawrence threw a loyal Rocky in second pitch in a double into right field.

Young also played well defensively at first base, making it look easy as he hit two throws past the dirt, keeping a potential non-batting player alive for Cubs primary pitcher Marcus Strowman. As it turns out, Stroman only gave up three hits through seven innings to earn the win. Chicago fans in the crowd of 31,775 told that they appreciate his efforts to give the beloved Cubbies their 62nd win this season.

“It was loud and sexy, definitely a lot of adrenaline, all the things you dream about when you grow up,” Young said.

“Once you start playing, you realize it’s the same game. It’s a completely different scenario and different people out there, but it’s the same game and I’ve been doing it for a long time.

“There’s everything about winning and helping the team get those ‘Ws’ so anything you can do to help is the only thing on your mind. My job is to show I belong here and I can stay here for the rest of my career.”

Young was the Cubs’ designated hitter in Saturday’s game, losing 3-1 to the Rockies, and notching his second major league goal in the sixth inning — a double streak to center field. He entered Sunday’s game as a pinch hitter with two in sixth and fought 3-2 to get to base on a walk. The Cubs were down 4-3 in the ninth game by one when Young got up to bat again. He made two saves and made 3-2 again but was called up on the field which a video replay confirmed was clearly outside the strike zone.

The Cubs are now in Miami for a four-game series this week against the Marlins. Young did not play on Monday but did start today’s game, hitting seventh in the standings in the slot assigned to the batsman. He went 1 for 4 on the board, hit one in the top seventh, and then stole the first MLB base from Marlins loyal Huascar Brazoban. The Cubs went on to win 2-1. Wednesday’s match (4pm PT) will be broadcast live on www.streameast.xyz.

Young is not only Prince George’s first major player but also the city’s first professional baseball player. Born on July 9, 1995, he and his parents Randy and Dana have brought him to the playground from the day he was born to watch his older brother Tanner play the game.

“Jared never had a summer day in his life when he wasn’t on the court,” Dana Young said. “He always had a racket in his hand, and to have us all be there for his MLB debut, his lifelong dream came true this past weekend.

“It was the most amazing thing to be a part of. Everyone who watched and supported him over the years was watching. Even the people who couldn’t come, like my mom (Janet Giles) and Lyle (Jared’s grandfather), were watching and cheering. I think half of Prince George was Watch and encourage.

The young entourage traveled on the red-eye flight to Chicago and arrived early in the morning for Friday’s game. The Cubs put them back with seats behind the house board and bought two extra tickets near first base so they could see better Jared when he was on the field.

“He played great all weekend, it’s where he belongs,” said Dana. “There was a lot of emotion, it was just magic.”

Growing up in Prince George, Young also excelled in hockey and was a goalkeeper at Farr Fabricating Tier 1 bantam Cougars in 2008-09. Some of his best buddies and former PG teammates — Riley Hawes, Garrett Hill, Jordan Law, Jake LeBron, Tanner Kinsley, Nick Hedrick, Chase Whitala — were there in Chicago for the weekend series, joining family members on the field at Wrigley after the game. Jared’s first hug went to his 33-year-old brother Tanner, who he hasn’t seen in nearly two years. Tanner and his fiancée Kat followed the cubs to Miami.

Young was drafted by Cubs in 2017 as a freshman at Old Dominion in Virginia and has climbed the ladder throughout his minor league career, advancing to every level in the organization. His unlikely example made it true to every kid in northern British Columbia who picks up a ball glove who could one day follow in his footsteps in the major leagues.

“If you play hard enough, work hard enough and are good enough and have the opportunity to keep playing, you can go anywhere,” he said. “You have dreams for a reason and they won’t come true if you don’t work hard and take some chances, but it’s possible.”


fbq(‘init’, ‘303951603680851’);
fbq(‘track’, ‘PageView’);
!function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s){if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod?n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments)};if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version=’2.0′;n.queue=[];t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0;t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, document,’script’,’fbq(‘init’, ‘455294191925359’);fbq(‘track’, ‘PageView’);